PROCEDURE FOR OBTAINING APPROVAL TO ESTABLISH AN INNOVATION ENTERPRISE INSTITUTION (IEI) OR VOCATIONAL ENTERPRISE INSTITUTION (VEI)
1. Any person or organization wishing to establish an Innovation Enterprise Institution (IEI) or Vocational Enterprise Institution (VEI) shall apply to the Honourable Minister of Education, through the Executive Secretary, National Board for Technical Education, Plot B, Bida Road, PMB 2239, Kaduna. The application letter shall be accompanied by the following documents:
- A Need Assessment Report, showing that the institution is required to produce the type of manpower that it plans to produce for the economy.
- A Business Plan that describes the business concept of the institution, its vision and mission, profiles and experiences of the promoters and management team and sources of funds for capital and recurrent expenditure.
- The proposed Structure of Administration and Control of the institution including an organogram of how the various components of the institution shall relate to each other. This shall also include the names, qualifications and cognate work experiences of the principal officers and heads of departments.
- List of all academic and non-academic staff with qualifications, specializations and work experiences for each proposed programme. The nature of employment (full-time or part –time) of each staff and duties to be performed in a tabular form.
- The proposed school curriculum for the programme. This shall have evidence of potentials for creativity, innovation and link with industry and the market.
- A list of physical facilities e.g. classrooms, laboratories, workshops, studios, farms etc that are available for each proposed programmes. The service facilities like seats, desks, water. Light, gas etc that are available in each facility. The dimensions and student capacity of each facility shall also be stated.
- A Tax Clearance Certificate showing that the proprietor has paid his/her taxes fully in the past three years.
- A Current Audit Financial Statement and or Bank Statement of Account of the proprietor.
- Certificate of Incorporation by Corporate Affairs Commission.
- A signed Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with relevant industries for students' practical training and subsequent employment.
2. The submitted application documents shall be analysed and assessed against the laid down standards by professional staff of the Board.
- If the application documents meet the laid down standards, the Board shall arrange and conduct an approval/advisory visit to the proposed institution to confirm the availability of resources in line with the laid down standards.
- If the application documents fail to meet the laid down standards, the Board shall write to inform the proprietor to correct the shortfalls and inform it accordingly.
3. An approval/advisory visit to a proposed IEI or VEI shall be conducted by staff of NBTE, Federal Ministry of Education and others of same type of or similar institutions.
- At the end of the visit, the team shall recommend the approval or otherwise of the institution to the National Board for Technical Education based on its findings.
- The Management of NBTE shall consider the approval/advisory report recommendation and make recommendation to the Board on whether or not to recommend the approval of establishment of the institution to the Honourable Minister of Education.
- When an application to establish an IEI or VEI is recommended by the Board to the Honourable Minister of Education, the Executive Secretary NBTE shall convey the recommendation to the Honourable Minister for approval.
- The Honourable Minister of Education shall convey approval to establish the institution to the Executive Secretary NBTE.
- When an approval/advisory visit is carried out by the Board and approval for establishment of the institution is not recommended or granted, the proprietor of the institution shall be informed in writing about the reasons for not recommending or approving the establishment of the institution and advised to correct the deficiencies identified.
- When a proprietor has satisfactorily corrected identified deficiencies, he/she shall inform NBTE accordingly; giving details of the correction made, and invite NBTE to verify.
- When a verification visit is carried out and the findings show that the institution has satisfactorily corrected the deficiencies that were identified in the earlier approval/advisory visit, the team shall recommend approval of establish of the institution to the Management of the Board and the procedure outlined above for approval of establishment of the institution shall be followed.