WHAT IS NSQF
NSQF formally called NVQF is a system for the development, classification and recognition of skills, knowledge, understanding and competencies acquired by individuals, irrespective of where and how the training or skill was acquired. The system gives a clear statement of what the learner must know or be able to do whether the learning took place in a classroom, on-the-job, or less formally.
The framework indicates the comparability of different qualifications and how one can progress from one level to another. The framework is the structure within which the National Skills Qualifications (NSQs) operate.
The framework aims at
- promoting lifelong learning
- providing quality assurance and recognition
Promoting Life Long Learning
- understanding occupational learning routes and qualifications and how they relate to each other.
- providing access to vocational education and training opportunities.
- making progression routes easier and clearer.
- improving career mobility.
- increasing the scope for recognition of prior learning.
Lifelong learning is necessary to enhance an individual's employability in a rapidly changing world of work. People should have opportunities for training to meet needs arising from technological and economic development and changing career paths. National Skills Qualifications Framework can offer Nigeria an instrument for promoting the development of new qualifications, making delivery more flexible and widening the range of providers.
Providing Quality Assurance and Recognition
- ensuring that qualifications are relevant to perceived social and economic needs.
- ensuring that National Occupational Standards are defined by agreed learning outcomes and are applied consistently.
- ensuring that training providers meet certain quality standards.
- ensuring international recognition for national qualifications.
The framework is used to increase the influence of stakeholders in the development of qualifications so that the system responsive to the needs of the labour market. Employers and workers' organisations have an important role to play in developing competency standards for qualifications. Also under quality assurance, there must be:-
Validation of qualifications/standards
- ensuring that the qualification is designed to meet certain agreed criteria.
- ensuring that the standards meet the specific sector requirements
OBJECTIVES OF NSQF
- NSQF is to ensure the quality, status, relevance and provision availability of TVETs
- Complexity and ambiguity of selecting a competent person by industry is reduced
- Establish pathways and progression from informal short courses provided by various government agencies, NGOs and industry, to formal TVET programmes
- Narrowing the gaps between what TVET graduates know and can do and the skills and knowledge that employers say they need
- Overcome limited progression possibilities and demand for TVET that far exceeds supply